Advocates For Senior Issues
Next Meeting – Friday, October 18th, 2018
Life EMS – 1279 Cedar Street NE
We had a wonderful kick-off to our 2018-2019 program year on Friday. We are so very appreciative to our speakers Lisa Misenhimer, Chris Simons, and Judy Karandjeff. All 3 did a such a great job.
Please remember our meeting next month will be held on October 18th at Life EMS – 1279 Cedar Street NE.
You will find the following information we hope you will find helpful.
- The Healthy Aging Department at AAAWM is hosting a Diabetes PATH class starting October 10 and there are spots still available. This class teaches many useful self-management techniques to participants and is a great refresher for those that have had previous diabetes education. For questions or to sign up, please contact Staci at 616-222-7007.
- AARP is hosting “Disrupting Disparities” in Lansing. Transportation is available and FREE.
- Senior Leadership is hosting its annual Senior Volunteer Fair on October 12th.
- AAAWM is hosting a Kent County Senior Millage open house on Wednesday this week.
- The Diversity Academy has a great program coming up next month, “Advocating for Respect and Cultural Sensitivity”.
As always, please feel free to contact me if you need any further information or have questions.
Advocacy Coordinator and Planner
Area Agency on Aging of Western Michigan
3215 Eaglecrest Dr. NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49525
2018-2019 Membership Meetings
3rd Friday of the month
Except July, August and December
Frederik Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park
(unless otherwise noted)
10:00 A.M. Meeting call to order
October 19, 2018 – (Life EMS)
November 16, 2018
January 18, 2019
February 15, 2019
March 15, 2019
April 19, 2019 – (Location, TBD)
May 17, 2019
June 21, 2019
Advocates for Senior Issues is a non-partisan organization, affiliated with the Area Agency on Aging of Western Michigan
Advocates for Senior Issues
is a non-partisan association made up of local citizens and organizations interested in the concerns and well-being of older adults, as well as issues that concern our community, our safety, and our happiness. We hope to inform our members and educate our legislators to effect local, state, and federal legislation concerning seniors.
The group meets regularly to:
Meetings include legislators who speak on current events and answer questions from the group. Experts from many professions are also invited to keep members informed on life changes, new ideas, and the best ways to get things done.
Advocates for Senior Issues members advocate for local community issues as well as state and federal issues. There are presently three active Strategy Groups that are working on Elder Abuse, Health Care, and Long Term Care issues.
Members from their 20’s to their 90’s always find something interesting at meetings. It’s a good place to connect with others of like interests!